In a message dated 3/21/04 6:56:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

(1) The GolfPride Tour Wrap Midsize went on fine, but the last 2" at the
butt never gripped the shaft properly. I was still able to twist it back
and forth in that section more than 6 hours afterwards. So I blew that one
off again and just regripped it conventionally.
    Maybe it would have worked with a new grip of the same model. I suspect
the grip had been stretched enough that it couldn't hold by compression and
friction alone.

This could be caused by strectch at the butt caused by overinflation which happens when the "protector" is too large I.D. A raelly good protector is made from braided PVC 035 048643-032354 1ST-03-29-01 (numbers on mine) from Home Depot. It's clear and has criss crossed nylon cord in the walls (11 inches long). Take a golf tube and warm the reinforced hose, lub the golf tube with soapy water and shove it into the hose.. This will work on all gripssince the walls are a little flexible (too flexible without the golf tube inserted).

(2) The Star Grip web site says you can blow on Star grips DRY. So I tried
on one club. I eventually succeeded, but it was a major hassle. Won't do
that again.

Easier with a little solvent and better compressor.
Very easy with about 2 inches of grip tape at the butt and wetted with solvent.
A cheapo blow gun with an "inflator tip" (the "barbed" tapered tip used to inflate pool toys, air mattresses, etc.) works best.
Before putting the inflator tip on the blow gun, chuck the threaded end in your variable speed hand drill and turn down the last two barbs parallel by holding it against your beltsander while the drill rotates it. Try to get a brass inflator tip. Brass is stronger that the aluminium ones and the walls are thicker, also turns more easily.

They to use a better compressor, Dave. Tire inflator types have no holding tank and are really just small piston bicycle pumps. Compressor does not have to cost a bundle. Harbor Freight has a pancake 4 Gal, 2 HP oil type (better) usually on sale for 79.99-$89.99 Blow of 3-4 grips before the compressor runs for 9 seconds. Blow on 6-8 grips before compressor runs again. They are all noisy but you can stand the noise for 9-10 seconds!

As you use this technique more you will get much faster and more skilled at it.
I think it's the only way to go even if I use a full length of tape and a little solvent! No fighting with tougher grips like Winn. No grips stopping halfway, no wrestling to get alignment adjusted. MORE TIME TO PLAY. Pooff....they're on.

When blowing grips off ALWAYS USE PROTECTOR TUBE if the air doesn't want to pass through squirt solvent in vent hole, drape a rag over the shaft at the grip mouth and apply more air. When butt frees twist butt a little and continue with bursts of air till the air passes all the way through. Just takes a little practice and you should be able to save even Winn Grips over 90% of the time.

Glad to help on this.

Arnie