Good question. I think they do sell a lot of clubs.
It's also a way to sell against the OEM demo day ("it's demo day every day at Arnies").
I guess it's probably the larger stores that sit on driving ranges that may have the advantage over a smaller component based clubmaker as the larger stores carry OEM demo's, have a clubmaker in-house (to build Ed's 43.5 inch driver), and are now doing what used to by exclusive to smaller custom clubmakers with launch monitors and other techie goodies.

I was still much happier when you could bash an OEM brand for being expensive and unable to really fit a club to your swing.

John Muir
clubmaker-online.com
shoptalk
What is the real function of demo days for Ping and
the other OEMs?
It cannot be an efficient way to sell clubs.  They
must be in it for the marketing buzz, right?

-Don

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 I watched a young guy hit a bunch of different
 drivers and the Ping
 guy gave him a 11.5 deg with an X flex that he flat
 out killed and
 was obviously the club for him. That was when it
 dawned on me that
 Ping was doing things right (and at a great price).

--
Thanks!
John Muir