Some hybrids are numbered like woods. I think Wishon's are numbered to match the irons. Many just are labeled in degrees of loft.

You are on the right path based on your results. There are now hybrids that can be built with .335 wood shafts yet are weighted to be built at iron lengths. These seem to be overtaking the hybrids that are built on .370 iron shafts. In either case you get (and want) hybrids that swing like irons but are more forgiving and easier to get trajectory.

Wishon's are the prime examples of such .335 hybrids. Tour Golf also offers such a line, although they are numbered like woods but definitely are weighted to be built at iron lengths.

There are not many shafts yet for iron-weight .335 clubs. Wishon has a proprietary shaft, the GI-335. Many people say it plays a flex stiffer than indicated. There is a new I-Rod .335 hybrid shaft, I think. I have no knowledge of it though.

Oh. When you try an iron-replacement hybrid, make sure to hit it like an iron! Ball position especially.

-Don M

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi gang,

I am looking for some advice for my own personal set of clubs.  I currently
am playing Tom's 550C irons (excellent btw...) 6iron to PW, Snake Eyes TC01
wedges (52,56), KZG woods (the original maraging steel ones - 10.5 driver,
3w,5w,7w) and a Yes putter.   I intentionally did not build anything higher
than a 6iron, thinking I would use the fairway woods to fill the gap.
However... I can't hit these 3 fairway woods worth crap... ; )  I love the
look of them... but have tried different shafts in them and tried altering
things in my swing as well and the results are just too inconsistent to
rely on them.   (They may be for sale soon... : ) )

I plan to build a 4 & 5 iron for the set -- I hit my irons very well and it
was a mistake to try to leave those out of the mix.  Re: the other
potential 2 to 3 clubs, I am unsure what to look at given this experience.
I need or want at least one fairway wood that I can tee off with when the
situation calls for it, probably a 3 or 5.  That leaves a gap that I would
like to fill.

I am curious about hybrids and if any of you use them, what clubs you
replace in your bag to make room for them etc.  I am looking at Tom W's
hybrids and fairway woods.  Are hybrids numbered like irons?  Is a #3
supposed to be equivalent to a 3iron or would you say a person typically
would hit a hybrid farther than it's equivalent iron?

I am a 10 handicap, hope to be a 7 or 8 by the end of this season.  I play
in 3 or 4 big amateur tournaments a year and need to have something in my
bag I can rely on in those events.  If I played the tournament tomorrow I
wouldn't take a fwy wood out of my bag, which hurts me considerably on the
length of the courses we are set up to play.

Suggestions welcome... both equipment and other (mental, swing, lol)!

TIA,
Jen

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .