How about take a graphite shaft and progressively trim it from the tip until the 3/8" steel shaft just fits the ID of the graphite (the walls are a lot thicker in graphite shafts than in steel so you'll end up with a shorter graphite shaft section than if you did it with a steel shaft). Clean the id of the graphite shaft REALLY well. Push acetone soaked swabs through it. The ID of these graphite shafts still have mold release in them. Trim the 3/8" steel rod for as much overlap as you want (I would suggest at least 6"). Push the 3/8" rod up into the graphite shaft as far as you can (tip of the graphite up against the hosel on the clubhead) and coat the bottom few inches of the overlap length of the 3/8" rod with as much epoxy as you can (do this when everything is cool and the epoxy thick and you can get more on) and then slide the graphite back up the rod (rotating the graphite as you do to smear the epoxy evenly) until you have the right 'playing length', jig it so the shaft is straight, and let it cure. This will provide a seal between the 3/8" rod and the graphite shaft. After the epoxy has cured pour additional epoxy down the graphite shaft to fill up the void around the 3/8" rod (hence the need for the 'seal'). This will be facilitated by warming the epoxy to thin it out. Keep in mind that warming the epoxy also accelerates its cure cycle but it will rapidly cool to whatever temperature the components are at. This will allow you to keep as much of the weight of the 3/8" steel rod as you want and give you 'butt' you can put a standard grip on.

Good luck (since I've never tried this before)

Alan Brooks