Sorry for the late reply. I've been on the road (and I'm not really done with travel for another week). But I promised Jen I'd respond, albeit late.

Anyway...

At 10:06 AM 5/2/2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I plan to build a 4 & 5 iron for the set -- I hit my irons very well and it
was a mistake to try to leave those out of the mix.  Re: the other
potential 2 to 3 clubs, I am unsure what to look at given this experience.
I need or want at least one fairway wood that I can tee off with when the
situation calls for it, probably a 3 or 5.  That leaves a gap that I would
like to fill.

I am curious about hybrids and if any of you use them, what clubs you
replace in your bag to make room for them etc.

Here's my experience with hybrids:

(1) The two most important characteristics (apart from the obvious one of loft) are
- Offset
- Shaft tip (.335 wood or .370 iron)

(2) Offset seems to be far more of a directional adjustment in hybrids than in irons. Many people (myself included, but hardly everybody) find an offset hybrid to encourage a big-ol' hook. I look for a hybrid for myself with face progression ("onset"? the opposite of offset). Unfortunately (for me) most hybrids do have offset. Unfortunate perhaps, but not terribly surprising; hybrids' biggest market is "game improvement", and that often equates to slice prevention.
My first hybrid was a store-bought Taylor Made Rescue (the original design). I could keep this club from flaring right, so it was my choice when I needed good distance and right was not an option. As my swing improved and I didn't slice much, the Rescue developed an uncontrollable hook. Eventually, it got to the point that I was afraid to pull it out of the bag, so I stopped carrying it and made myself some Dynacraft Hypersteels. (They are still my fairway woods today.)

(3) Here's a generalization -- not a universal truth but a "usually" truth. If the hosel is a .370" bore, it will play more like an iron. If the hosel is a .355" bore, it will play more like a lofted fairway wood.

(4) Tom Wishon says that hybrids will hit a similar distance to an iron of the same loft, but with a higher trajectory. That may be true for a .370" hosel. My experience is that a .355" bore hybrid will play about 10 yards longer than an iron of the same loft.

Hope this helps,
DaveT

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.7 - Release Date: 5/9/2005