I think back weighting is all about feel.

I have to believe this is the case. That's because there's nothing in physics that says there will be a big difference in result, given the same swing. I've run Max's SwingPerfect program, which uses basic physics to simulate a swing, and allows some pretty big variation in club parameters. I can go from no butt weight at all to 100g butt weight. The difference in clubhead speed never exceeds a half MPH. There can be up to a half-degree difference in wrist angle as well, which should translate into angle of attack. A half degree isn't much at all, but it's more significant than the negligible difference in clubhead speed.

BTW, you'd have to do A LOT of robot testing to be able to detect such small differences with any statistical significance.

What's my conclusion from this? That golfers change their swing based on what the club feels like. That's the only explanation consistent with the facts that: * Backweighting makes negligible difference in performance given the same swing. * Backweighting does make a difference in performance for some golfers.

I believe that's also consistent with what Tim Hewitt has posted about backweighting. He says (based on his substantial experience with Balance Certified) that there is no known way to predict from measurements what sort of backweighting would be best for any given golfer. The only way to determine it is by trial and error.

I haven’t tried it on anything other than a putter, but for me, 75 gms in the grip end of my putter (Rife 2 Bar, Mallet) provides great feel – the extra weight seems to really stabilize my hands. Especially noticeable on short putts. I haven’t done a scientific before-after test, but the after test sure feels better and I feel more confident. A by-product worth noting – the grip weight also allows me to use the heavier two bar weights and still maintain a reasonable swingweight.

Backweighting in putters is a different story. While a full swing is all about wrist cock and release, a good putter swing has no wrist movement. So the mechanics of backweighting is completely different. The Heavy Putter Company at http://www.heavyputter.com/ (I think they're now Boccieri Golf) has a very good grasp on how to fit golfers for head weight and back weight on their putters. Independent controlled testing has proven that their approach works.

BTW Ted, your use of backweight to offset a heavier putter head is consistent with what they do. But swingweight has nothing to do with it. I don't think of swingweight as being a particularly valuable measurement for putters.

Cheers,
DaveT