George,
Robert does have a point, in that the system can be fooled to
some degree.

A couple of random comments, then I'll shut up.

1.  Your handicap (your index as TFlan correctly pointed out)
represents your potential ability.  I hear a few comments about
people complaining that they are being penalized because they
"aren't that good".  Well, yes they are that good.  Their scores
reflect their potential.

2.  Robert pointed out "T" (Tournament) scores, which are one way
the system has to detect sandbaggers.  If you shoot well in a
formal tournament that score is going to stick around for a year
and can influence your index.  If you have two T scores that are
at least 3.0 strokes better than your normally computed index,
the T scores can be used to determine your index.

3. The Northern California Golf Association, which I am a member
of, keeps a database of scores from tournaments they sponsor,
which includes inter-club play.  The database goes back at least
two years, probably more.  If you score "too well" in one of
their tournaments they are going to notice it and you can get
your index restricted.  IIRC, a number of tournaments in Texas
instituted a similar system several years ago to nail
sandbaggers.

4. Your "club", where your handicap is established, should have
an active handicap committee.  Baggers need to be sanctioned.  We
had a guy who fairly regularly was doing things like shooting a
93, writing a 98 on the score card, and posting a 99.  His index
was restricted for a year to his lowest two tournament scores,
which represented a significant reduction.

5.  If you aren't a member of a "club", be wary of a money game
where you give strokes (even if you are a member, still be wary
:-).  TFlan had a good method for dealing with this situation.

/Ed

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:13 -0700, "GEORGE HUSON"