I'm NCGA as well. I was in SCGA for about 30 years. Moved north about 10 years
ago.

TFlan

From: e_ree...@mailup.net
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: Handicap
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 15:53:02 -0700

George,

Robert does have a point, in that the system can be fooled to some degree.

A couple of random comments, then I'll shut up.

1.  Your handicap (your index as TFlan correctly pointed out) represents your
potential ability.  I hear a few comments about people complaining that they
are being penalized because they "aren't that good".  Well, yes they are that
good.  Their scores reflect their potential.

2.  Robert pointed out "T" (Tournament) scores, which are one way the system
has to detect sandbaggers.  If you shoot well in a formal tournament that score
is going to stick around for a year and can influence your index.  If you have
two T scores that are at least 3.0 strokes better than your normally computed
index, the T scores can be used to determine your index.

3. The Northern California Golf Association, which I am a member of, keeps a
database of scores from tournaments they sponsor, which includes inter-club
play.  The database goes back at least two years, probably more.  If you score
"too well" in one of their tournaments they are going to notice it and you can
get your index restricted.  IIRC, a number of tournaments in Texas instituted a
similar system several years ago to nail sandbaggers.

4. Your "club", where your handicap is established, should have an active
handicap committee.  Baggers need to be sanctioned.  We had a guy who fairly
regularly was doing things like shooting a 93, writing a 98 on the score card,
and posting a 99.  His index was restricted for a year to his lowest two
tournament scores, which represented a significant reduction.

5.  If you aren't a member of a "club", be wary of a money game where you give
strokes (even if you are a member, still be wary :-).  TFlan had a good method
for dealing with this situation.

/Ed

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:13 -0700, "GEORGE HUSON" <geohu...@flash.net> wrote:

            Of course if you are a 0 then the last 10 scores would be used with
the previous ten scores and the lowest 10 would be used for your current
handicap. So you may end up still a 0 or a  1 not likely a 3

            Now if you practice for the next 3 weeks, we can assume you are not
just going to hit balls but actually play a few rounds.  If you are practicing
and playing you may actually shoot some rounds below your 0 handicap over the
next 3 weeks.  Since handicaps are re-calculated every month very few of your
10 high scores may actually be used to figure your index.

            Since most people only play 2 times a week or less, then to get
your 3 handicap you would have to not practice, just play cold for at least 2
1/2 months.  You take 2 1/2 months off & I would be surprised if you are are a
0 even with 3 weeks of practice.

            George Huson

            ByGeorge Custom Clubs