From: owner-shopt...@mail.msen.com [mailto:owner-shopt...@mail.msen.com] On
Behalf Of Dave Tutelman
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:33 PM
To: ShopTalk@mail.msen.com
Subject: RE: ShopTalk: Is it possible to hate a club?

Right you are, TFlan!
My LW is for popping it just over the bunker to a narrow green. (Did
that twice yesterday.) Not primarily for flying that tall tree
between me and the green.

I count on hitting my PW 105yd and my SW 90. But I can get those
distances 80-90% of the time -- that's what I mean by "count on".

When I take a full swing with my LW, I'll get a full, solid strike
only about half the time. When I do, I will get a very high 60-70yd
out of the shot. That means I do it only when success is more
valuable than failure is damaging. Examples:

(a) If I'm in a stroke play tournament and competing reasonably well,
I would never try it. Don't try to fly over that tall tree; pitch out
around it and accept the lost stroke.

(b) If my match play partner is on the green inside our opponents and
I could be on the green too if I fly the tree, I will attempt a full
LW. (Actually happened that way last month. I botched the shot and
wound up IN the tree. Finally on the par-5 green in 6 instead of in
3. No matter; my partner got the par and halved the hole. The only
way I could have helped is with a birdie -- which was what I was attempting.)

Cheers!
DaveT