Consider this;
Several guys here have said that using the 60 or even 64 degree wedges requires
a lot of practice. Why not just practice with the 56 and 58 degree clubs - or
even (gasp!) a 9 iron? I spent a lot of hours practicing 8 and 9 irons for lob
shots. That was a long time ago when I was a kid and didn't have a lot of
clubs. We practiced, my cousin and I, with what we had - about 5 or 6 wooden
shafted irons, handed down from an uncle. We had to invent shots then.
But even today I can still open up a 9 or sometimes an 8 and loft the ball
pretty high. There are problems with bounce, to be sure, but depending on the
lie the shot isn't especially hard. Best of all, there isn't the need to slam
the ball as with a 60. Sure, I have 3 or 4 lobsters - 60's and 64's. Why?
Because I can. Just as I still have a 1 iron, a Wilson Gooseneck SW, and a
Bullseye putter. I don't use them, but I have them.
Take the PW, SW and LW out of the bag some day when you're playing a
meaningless round and see what you can do with them. An open face 9 iron out of
fluffy sand is a pretty good example.
I think it was Tom Wishon who wrote a couple days ago that there are a lot of
guys trying to buy a game - I mentioned the resurgence of the "jigger", the
chipping club as an example. I certainly have done my bit in selling stuff to
customers who are tired of hitting it "only 275 yards" with a 3 wood.
Remember my comparison of fisherman and golfers; it's called "fishing" not
catching. Tackle boxes, like golf bags, are filled with lures that don't work.
TFlan

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you’re up to on
Facebook.
http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009