John,
A topic close to my heart.  The opinion of a lot of clubfitters is that
full-bore putter fitting (e.g., Edel) is not a money maker.  You are
better off, as you are thinking, to just tweak a golfer's existing
putter (length, lie/loft, head/backweight).  You won't be giving them
their ultimate putter, but they'll be better off than they were before.

IMHO an affordable putter-fitting system does not currently exist.  I
base this upon the belief that, as does Edel, the look of the putter has
a huge effect on the golfer's ability to naturally aim it (this is what
you are proposing does not address).  In order to cover the bases you
need different head shapes, shaft offsets, etc., etc. that you can mix
and match until the golfer can point it where he thinks he's aiming.
These variables require either a huge inventory of putters or an
interchangeable component system.  There is no inexpensive way to
achieve this.

Getting the aiming done is step one, from there on you address the other
variables like length, lie, loft, weight, grip, face insert, etc.

One last comment.  Even if you had the ultimate fitting system would you
get enough business to make it profitable?  I'm not sure.  One place I
know that had the old Kirk Curry system got rid of it because their
members, who nearly all had custom fit clubs, would show up with putters
they had given to them or they picked up on a whim.  It's hard to sell
against the current "hot putter" on tour.

I'll leave the specific questions you asked for others to answer.

/Ed