On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 07:56:20AM -0800, Tom Eastep wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 13:37 +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>>> It would be nice if the outage could be completely
>>> eliminated. However, this is a problem for the kernel people - we'd
>>> need atomic whole-configuration changes in netfilter and tc, rather
>>> than the current rule-at-a-time system.
>
> We do have that now with Netfilter under Shorewall-perl (one atomic
> update per table).

I don't believe so - my understanding of iptables-restore (based on
studying its code) is that from the perspective of the kernel it is
equivalent to running all the iptables commands by hand, so it's not
atomic, it just doesn't have to reload the iptables binary and
libraries a few hundred times. But it's possible that I'm missing
something.