I agree with some of the opposition about xml being harder to read. I suggest it mainly because of it's ease of deployment. Perl has well documented easy to use libraries for XML. I'm certainly open to other options, and really just want something easier to use than the large tabular format. Perhaps something custom would work. I have another idea. Pick a constant to (optionally) terminate the end of the rule, such as ";" by itsself in any column. then parse after the ; key-value pairs where COLUMNNAME="value", in my example below

DNAT    net    loc:10.0.0.1    tcp    80    ;    MARK="88"

just an arbitrary example, but it might inspire you :)