Donald S. Doyle <dsdo...@gemcc.com> wrote:

> So every time a system gets rooted, the best thing to do is start fresh
> either with a replacement device or a clean install?

Yes.
The ideal situation is you wipe it and recreate it from scratch - that is the
only 100% guaranteed way to avoid having had anything left behind of a
compromise. Bear in mind that some of the more sneaky malware goes to great
lengths to make it hard to find.

But, that's the ideal world.
In the real world, you may not be in a position to just do that - for example,
if it's been a couple of years since you set it up you will have several issues
:
1) You won't be able to remember exactly what you had set up and how it was set
up
2) The software may well have moved on and the original versions are no longer
available for download - though this is an opportunity ti upgrade !
So it's a case of cleaning up and removing what's been installed. This needs a
certain level of skill to identify what's been installed and how. If you can't
figure out HOW it got in, then you don't know what holes you have to plug.

But this shows a good reason why it's a good idea to have a border router which
does the bare minimum, has the bare minimum of software installed, and is
locked down tighter than a duck's backside (which by anecdote is watertight).
These days it's easy to run multiple virtual machines on one PC/server - and
thus have a small virtual machine dedicated to being your router/firewall.

It's also a good idea to have firewall rules which "block everything, permit
what you want" - especially to/from your firewall. That way, if (say) a hacker
is able to compromise a forum package on the webserver and install his "stage
1" software kit, it won't be able to make any outbound connections to get
instructions/download further code/upload results - thus making the
installation impotent.

The glib and simplistic thing to say is that no-one should be doing this sort
of stuff if they don't understand all this - and that's what you'll hear from
some quarters. In the real world, we don't all have the budget to employ
security professionals to vet our home/small business setups - so we have to do
the best we can.

There is one thing that comes to mind. You said that "It appears that apps are
getting installed on the router without my knowing ... I cannot find any
evidence of it." How do you know they are installed if you can't find any
evidence ?