One might suspect there are some things we can learn from
this:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4641

In particular, when *contrasting* even initial operational
practices with preceding recommendations made in theoretical
environments, a disparity usually emerges.

I share concerns about frequency of publication and fetching
functions.  In particular, this was one of the larger reasons
why folks stopped using IRR-based prefix lists in practice.  It's
a real PITA when intermediate ASes haven't updated policies for
newly announced prefixes in a stateful protocol such as BGP.  The
originator announces the route, the route is dropped by peers
because it's not permitted in the import policy, then the policy
is updated eventually after corresponding IRR objects were fetched
and the route is now permitted in policy, but stateful BGP doesn't
reannounce the route, so the route had to be "bounced" somehow
along the path, or at the origin, or a session reset to trigger
a new update once the policy has been updated.

Of course, we have BGP route refresh today, and implementations
arguably should store an "invalid" route in an Adj-RIB-In and
denote as such - but that does introduce cost (and a potential
attack vector) as well.  As Randy pointed out, and Curtis and I
have stated (and lived firsthand together :-/)  many times, the
ripple effects associated with disjoint and autonomous application
of policy derived from IRR (or RPKI) like systems are quite an
operations nightmare in practice, and should be given heavy
consideration here.

-danny