On Nov 11, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> There's actually some research on this, I recall the number 'globally'
> as 1.2 avg packing... but internally, that may be different, of
> course.

I'd be interested in a pointer to that Chris, if you could pass it along.

The only quantitative analysis I've seen of this is here:

<http://www.tcb.net/stuff/danny-ucla-pack.pdf>

It's 3 months of data from 6 monitors.  The basic observation is that
around 30% to 40% updates are packed, and these packed updates
carry up to 80% of prefixes -- a density that seems to be fairly consistent
across both iBGP and eBGP monitors.

-danny