On Mar 21, 2012, at 3:47 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> in this:
>>> <http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2012-February/045941.html>
>>> message. This is what you mean as well, yes?
>> Yes.  And, to answer Randy's question in that message ... I'm not
>> asserting that this is a _simple_ problem to be solved, but we should
>> not ignore the problem b/c it's "hard" ... otherwise, we wouldn't have
>> the Internet, as it exists today, nor a lot of other things.
>
> actually, there is a solution to that problem.  it's called bgp.

No, it's not.  Today, BGP is a mechanism that was strictly designed for
distributing reachability information <period, full-stop>.  Any change in that
is a fundamental change to the way the BGP protocol is operated, currently.

> bgpsec
> is an attempt to protect that solution from some demonstrated attacks.

... which have not been enumerated, in detail, in any SIDR WG drafts.  As I
look at <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-02> there is
/a lot/ of discussion around threats posed to everything surrounding BGPSEC &
the RPKI, but no substance to at least the one "headline" threat that BGPSEC is
supposedly designed to mitigate against, the so-called "Pilosov/Kapela" attack.
 Heck, there's not even a _link_ or _reference_ in the threats document to the
Pilosov/Kapela attack.  I can't even find one in
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-reqs-03> either.

Heck, if even the attacks you allude to are not enumerated (in detail), then
IMHO there are much bigger problems here ...

> if you have another solution, do tell us.  but ranting that world hunger
> should be solved does not feed anyone.

-shane