just a note at the high level

  o anyone who thinks rsync is not gonna do well for the scaling we are
    likely to see in the next year+ is smoking some strong optimism.
    we're only at 5k objects today, three months into the game.

  o but we do not know the long term scaling characteristics of the
    current rsync scheme.  http etc are not likely to scale any better.

  o we could get much better rsync performance with a trivial change at
    the rirs.

  o we are currently constructing some measurement experiments.  on the
    order of 500k to 1m roas.  we need some points on the curve not bs
    and fud in powerpoint.

  o we are already playing with a bittorrent experiment for a number of
    reasons, mainly because its model is so different.  you have seen
    the initial results.  the code is open.

  o but we are suspicions and curious creatures, so folk are already
    discussing mechanisms for v2, mechanism agility, ...  to be deployed
    in a year or three.

we now return you to the ppt and fud channel of your choice.  but i am
sure the channel will be transported over dns and bgp. :)

randy