Stephen Kent wrote:
>> Ok, then I'll continue with mine line of thinking.
>> From the RIR stats files that RIRs publish daily we could get the numbers of
>> distinct resource holders. They are:
>>
>> AFRINIC  1310
>> APNIC    7957
>> ARIN    35380
>> LACNIC   4278
> What is the definition of a "distinct resource holder?" Does this correspond
> to an account with the RIR, or is there some other
> definition?

I count the number of distinct reg-ids in the RIR statistics files
(ftp.<RIR>.net/pub/stats/<RIR>/delegated-<RIR>-extended-latest,
where <RIR> is in {afrinic,apnic,arin,lacnic}). The file format document
defines this field as:

    This is an in-series identifier which uniquely identifies a single
organisation, an Internet number resource holder. All records
    in the file with the same reg-id are registered to the same resource holder.

--
Oleg Muravskiy
RIPE NCC