Shane,
As one operator whose worldwide routing/operations could be negatively impacted by the above, it would be nice to have a concise statement about what is/was the original intent of the design of the RPKI with respect to the above. In addition, it would be useful to see if any potential remedies/solutions may be employed (and, any associated overhead/delays/*costs*/etc. they incur) that may be used to mitigate them /before/ they manifest themself in the network, at which point operators will be obligated to stop using those 'trusted information repositories' to directly inform routing.
The intent of the RPKI has always been to create a PKI that parallels the allocation hierarchy. The downside of this is that errors, or malicious actions, by orgs at higher tiers have the potential to adversely impact resource holders at lower tiers. At certain tiers in the allocation hierarchy this is true irrespective of the use of the RPKI. For example, if a targeted entity receives an PA allocation from an ISP and that ISP is forced by a LEO to suspend service for that entity, but to still advertise the sub-allocated prefix, the target has a problem. if an RIR accidentally allocated the same prefix to two different entities, there would be a problem for one or both of them when they tried to advertise the twice-allocated space. I am working on a doc, to which I alluded in my reply to Sharon last week, that examines a wide range of cases in which an organization in the allocation hierarchy makes an error, or is forced to whack an allocation. The doc describes ways
that such activity can be detected, and remediation options.

Steve