Sharon,

> Nonetheless, all of the methods for whacking a ROA described in the paper > are detectable by anyone who monitors the RPKI. One might argue that each > resource holder should monitor his/her RPKI pub point to detect any action
> that causes one's ROA to become unverifiable.

We agree that monitoring is important and in fact we are working on such a monitor right now.

Great. I think we'll include this feature in future RPSRIR releases too. The important point, IMHO, is that this sort of monitoring is easiest if performed by resource holders themselves.

> Also, the scenario addressed in 2.2.1
> is specific to a very narrowly-defined class of resource holders who elected the third of > three approaches (not the preferred approach) to participating in the RPKI.

To clarify, which 3 approaches do you mean?

In 7.3.2 of RFC 6480 the two RECOMMENDED approaches are for a subscriber to receive a CA cert from the ISP from which the address space allocation was received, or for the subscriber to have the ISP that is the allocation source issue a ROA for the subscriber. I consider the second one to be less preferred than the first. the third approach applies only if the subscriber does not have it's own ASN, and that approach is NOT RECOMMENDED.

I misspoke when I said that your analysis, in 2.2.1 focused on the third of three approaches applicable in this case. You looked at the second of three, and the third approach is no applicable because you did assume
that the subscriber had it's own ASN.

In 2.2.1 we consider an org B who has its own ASN but chooses not to have its own resource cert; instead, it has org A issue its ROA. (This is one of two recommendations in RFC6480 Section 7.3.2 first paragraph.) In this case, the parent org A can whack org B's ROA in surreptitious ways, without explicitly using revocation lists.

Yes, the ROA can be whacked this way.

In the case where org B has its own resource cert, ROA whacking is more detectable, because it might involve issuing new ROA, grandparenting, etc. We discuss that in Sections 2.2.2-2.2.3, 2.3-2.5.

I believe that ROA whacking is always detectable by the whackee. It's harder for 3rd parties to detect, because there might be legitimate reasons for other actions. I suggest that we not consider grand parenting in this discussion. There is no RFC that allows grand parenting. More importantly it runs counter to the CP and the architecture, which call for entities acting as CA to issue certs based on the databases that they operate
to track the allocations that they made.

We are particularly curious about how legal recourse would play out in cases where the targeted party is in a different country than the party that whacked its ROA. For example, what if an American organization whacks a ROA for an AS in a different country (or vice versa)?

We did some analysis of when a subject in one country can whack a ROA for an AS in another country. See the heatmaps on slide 10-11 of the slide deck:

http://www.cs.bu.edu/~goldbe/papers/Cooper_RPKI_BFOC.pdf <http://www.cs.bu.edu/%7Egoldbe/papers/Cooper_RPKI_BFOC.pdf>

To get these, we took data on the direct-allocations from each RIR, and then used routeviews and RIPE RIS data to determine for each directly-allocated prefix, how many different ASes originate the prefix or any of its subprefixes. We show this in slide 10. To get slide 11, we then use the AS-to-country mappings provided by the RIRs to determine the number of countries that have ASes who originate prefixes that are covered by the directly allocated prefix. (Note we are in the midst of writing up a full report of these results, that I'll share with the list in a month or two.) So, if we suppose that prefixes directly allocated by the RIRs are given their own resource certs, we see that these resource certs can whack ROAs for ASes in multiple countries. (Look at 8/8 or 12/8, for example.) How would takedowns play out if they cross national borders?
It is often possible for a ROA representing resources in country X to be whacked by an org in country Z, because the allocation hierarchy is not aligned along country boundaries, and because some ISPs operate across country boundaries.

One way to mitigate these concerns, if they become significant, is for a country to operate a service where it tracks allocations to ISPs that operate within its borders. It can publish an LTAM constraints file that tracks the allocations, and ISPs that wish to check that file against data returned by the RPKI repository system can use this mechanism to detect anomalies. ISPs can then decide which source to believe. I know of one country that is already considering this model. It is not clear whether many countries will decide that this approach is worth the effort.

Another way to tackle the LEO-based aspect of this concern is to persuade LEOs to not view ROA whacking as a good tool. I've had this discussion with FBI cyber crime folks. I also note that there is an ongoing IAB effort to produce a position statement on the broader topic (encompassing both the DNS and the RPKI).

Steve