> Dear Mehmet,
> I used your input values but I still get a negative part in the curve. I
> tried re doing the calculation with LDA pseudo. For LDA there is no
> negative
> part whereas GGA (PBE) gives me negative part.
> Could someone comment on why this should happen for different pseudos.

Dear Juzar,
I can suggest a small checklist to get to the bottom of your problem.
Forget the pseudos for the moment, they are not your principal worry.

1. Do you have, among Gamma-modes, three good acoustic ones,
with frequencies close enough to zero?
- if not, the problem is insufficient MeshCutoff.

2. Are other frequencies at Gamma positive?
- if not, you are calculating phonons not around the equilibrium
(this might be intentional, of course, in some cases). Go search
for a better equilibrium. Use eigenvectors of instable modes as a guide.

3. If Gamma modes are OK but negative modes appear someplace
along the dispersion curves. This can be, in principle, either
genuine (a true instability - but needs careful checking!),
but more often is due to insufficient supercell size in vibra calculations.

I understand that this behaviour may vary with pseudopotential, but
in a collateral and random way; k-mesh and MeshCutoff convergencies
are much more important. You can go through checklist and enforce
stable phonons with any pseudopotential. (The values of stable modes
is a different issue).

Good luck

Andrei Postnikov

> dont think there is a problem with the pseudo because it is well tested
> for
> other calculations.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Juzar Thingna
> Department of Physics,
> Center for Computation Science and Engineering,
> National University of Singapore.
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Mehmet Topsakal <
> topsa...@unam.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:
>
>> Dear Jusar,
>>
>> Your structure in C2.fdf does not look like 2D-graphene.
>>
>> Try these
>>

>> NumberOfSpecies        1
>> NumberOfAtoms           2
>> LatticeConstant         1.0007 Ang
>> %block LatticeVectors
>> 2.4644         0                         0
>> 1.2322   2.13423302      0
>> 0      0           10
>> %endblock LatticeVectors
>>
>> AtomicCoordinatesFormat    fractional
>> %block AtomicCoordinatesAndAtomicSpecies
>>   0.33333333    0.33333333    0.5        1
>>   0.66666666    0.66666666    0.5        1
>> %endblock AtomicCoordinatesAndAtomicSpecies
>>

>> Also the attached pdf is the phonon-spectrum that i calculated by using
>> phon
>> (http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfbdxa/phon/<http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/%7Eucfbdxa/phon/>
>> )
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Juzar Thingna <juza...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to calculate the phonon dispersion relation of graphene
>>> sheet.
>>> In this calculation I get negative frequencies. Please could someone
>>> guide
>>> me where I'm going wrong?
>>>
>>> These are my input files:
>>> 1) C2.fdf
>>>
>>> SystemName           graphene
>>> SystemLabel          C2
>>>
>>> NumberOfAtoms        2
>>> LatticeConstant      2.46  Ang
>>>
>>> %block LatticeVectors
>>> 0.86 -0.5 0.0
>>> 0.86 0.5 0.0
>>> 0.0 0.0 20.0
>>> %endblock LatticeVectors
>>>
>>> AtomicCoordinatesFormat  NotScaledCartesianAng
>>> %block AtomicCoordinatesAndAtomicSpecies
>>> 0.0   0.0   0.0  1 12.0
>>> 1.42  0.0  0.0  1 12.0
>>> %endblock AtomicCoordinatesAndAtomicSpecies
>>>
>>> SuperCell_1          3
>>> SuperCell_2          3
>>>
>>> AtomicDispl 0.04  Bohr
>>>
>>> BandLinesScale ReciprocalLatticeVectors
>>> %block BandLines
>>>  1  0.000  0.000  0.000  \Gamma
>>>  20  0.500  0.000  0.000   M
>>>  20  0.333  -0.333  0.000  K
>>>  20  0.000  0.000  0.000  \Gamma
>>> %endblock BandLines
>>>
>>> 2) C2-siesta.fdf
>>>
>>> # graphene, 2 C in each unit cell
>>> # optimize structure(15/06/10/Tue)
>>> # cal. FC(16/06/10/Wed)
>>> # use ./vibrator to calculate phonon(16/06/10/Wed)
>>>
>>> SystemName           graphene
>>> SystemLabel          C2
>>>
>>> NumberOfSpecies     1
>>> %block ChemicalSpeciesLabel
>>>  1  6  C
>>> %endblock ChemicalSpeciesLabel
>>>
>>> PAO.BasisSize DZP
>>> XC.functional GGA
>>> XC.authors PBE
>>>
>>> MeshCutoff 200.0 Ry
>>> DM.MixingWeight  0.3
>>> DM.NumberPulay    3
>>> DM.Tolerance     1.0d-5
>>>
>>> %include FC.fdf
>>>
>>> First I run the utility fcbuild followed by siesta and then the utility
>>> vibrator to get the spectrum.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Juzar Thingna
>>> Department of Physics,
>>> Center for Computation Science and Engineering,
>>> National University of Singapore.
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Mehmet Topsakal  (Ph.D. Student)
>> UNAM-Institute of Materials Science and Nanotechnology.
>> Bilkent University. 06800 Bilkent, Ankara/Türkiye
>> Tel: 0090 312 290 3527 ; Fax: 0090 312 266 4365
>> UNAM-web  : www.nano.org.tr

Responder a