Hi Guangliang,

On Jan 27, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Guangliang Pan <g...@apnic.net> wrote:
> I think that statement refers to early IPv6 allocations from the old /23
> blocks. Before APNIC received the /12 allocation from IANA, we use sequence
> allocation method to make /32 allocations and reserved up to /29 for every
> allocation. That was the practice for all RIRs in the early stage. I believe
> this policy proposal is trying to address those reserved space.

That wasn't clear from my reading of the proposal, e.g., the first sentence of
the problem statement says: "... while APNIC currently reserves up to /29 for
each /32 allocation."

> APNIC has been using spare allocation method to make IPv6 allocations from
> the /12 block since we received it from IANA. We don’t do reservation in
> sparse allocation, but in fact every allocation has a room to grow.

Thanks for confirming.

> Current /32 allocations from the /12 block can grow up to /24 at this stage.

Err. That suggests APNIC is not using sparse (aka bisection) allocation, rather
APNIC now just reserves the the /24 instead of the /29...?

In any event, looking at the proposal, I gather there are 3 justifications are
provided for a default /29:

1) traffic engineering, since some folks out there filter on /32 boundaries;

2) potentially fewer prefixes if the ISP needs to expand

3) efficiency

Going in reverse order:

I don't understand #3. In this context, is the "efficiency" mentioned related
to ease of network design?

WRT #2, if I understand correctly, all APNIC allocations for ISPs have
sufficient space for that allocation to grow to (at least) a /29 within a
single prefix. I don't think APNIC staff would be so silly as to allocate from
the reserved/extension space non-contiguously.

That leaves #1 which appears to assume the same folks who are currently
filtering on longer than /32 won't decide to start filtering on longer than
/29. After all, I can easily see the whole point of filtering on /32 by
(arguably) overly pedantic network operators as trying to discourage folks from
shattering their allocations for traffic engineering purposes to try to limit
routing table growth. Once APNIC makes /29 the default allocation size, they
could just as easily shorten their prefix filters. Then what, make the default
a /24?

Are there any data on how many ISPs are filtering at /32?

Regards,
-drc