Warren, yep I think just treating each round as a separate entity is
absolutely the way to go! Simplicity rules.

So I'm trying to keep the momentum on this going and evolve something
as dead simple as possible, without it falling into a whole or
differing opinions.

1. 500 shares at $500. People can buy multiple shares but I think we
should cap it it at say 5 or 10 shares
2. That money is invested in a number of start-ups for up to 10 per
cent equity. I've changed my mind and think 1 batch would be best.
Standard legal agreements, etc need to be employed to keep down the
overview. I'd suggest to use a Digg-style voting site that allows
people to pick the companies that are invested in
3. Have 2 to 3 low-key networking events per year to update
shareholders on progress of start-ups and provide networking benefit.
Also use social media/email to provide on-going
discussion/advice/mentoring
4. We'll need a small board with people who commit to investing a bit
of sweat. As I've said I'm happy to do so on the publicity/marketing
side of things, but we really need someone or organisation to put
their hands up to do the legal work. And a coder/development company
who could whip up a few of the webside things that would automate the
crowd-sourcing aspect of this. Someone with financial knowledge.
Someone with good links into the angel community
5. The organisation is positioned as a way to get companies from seed
to angel funding. To provide them with an automatic network of
assistance, guidance and links to investors.
6. As an orgnisation we're able to cut deals with partner companies so
our start-ups get either free or cheap services. eg. Web hosting. I
reckon I could go to my community of IT PR companies with an "adopt a
start-up" proposal.

Please keep evolving this but for me the perfect analogy for this is
Racehorse Syndication. People invest a bit of money with the idea of
primarily having a bit of fun but with the feint hope that their
'investment' will turn into a superstar and they'll make a motza.