Obviously the key is to have the funds to fund it yourself to begin
with: many don't.

Get a good accounted to set up the structure right: it's worth the
money up front. If it's done through a pty ltd company tied to a trust
you'll get the benefits of a full company with the tax benefits of the
trust. You can lend money to the company to the point that income from
the company works essentially as a loan repayment with or without
interest (I never went the interest route.)

In terms of future investment, as others have pointed out the debt
might be a turn off...but I'd seriously doubt it at this level (well,
I'm presuming we're talking small amounts, say under 100-200k.) It's
easy to spin it off if needed, but in the mean time you can balance
the loan and repayment to negate income tax.

If the only way you can kick start your startup is with personal
investment, do it, and don't let any concern about debt/ future
investment get in the way. I'd note on hoops comment, that super
doesn't come into play until such time you repay the personal lone:
indeed, that's one of the benefits of loaning the money yourself up
front because it's not regarded as income until the loan is paid back.