From: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
[mailto:silicon-beach-austra...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Rogers Andrew
Sent: Friday, 23 April 2010 1:40 PM
To: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
Subject: [SiliconBeach] Employing staff in overseas countries

Hi all,

I'm hoping that perhaps someone on the list has had some experience with
employing people overseas that may be able to point me in the right
direction. We're considering putting on some systems administrators in
UK/Europe and potentially the US to assist us with covering a 24 x 7 support
load.

To a large degree we're trying to identify what we don't know that would be
useful to know in order to make this a smooth process, so I'm not sure I
have all the right questions to ask at this stage. I guess I'm mostly
interested in things others may have done that made the remote staff
arrangement work well which deviated from what you needed to do when only
working with a local team.

Importantly we're not so interested in offshoring to lower labour cost
environments as seems to be the more common requirement for offshoring.
Rather we're interested in having a few talented staff looking after the
after hours events that our local team currently take care of and
potentially offer the ability to continue on urgent projects overnight to
improve turnaround times.

A few questions that do come to mind:

1) Any advice in dealing with the international nature of the employment in
terms of keeping everything above board, meeting any local legal
requirements/obligations (eg tax reporting, superannuation, insurances etc).

2) Any tips on the recruitment process. In Australia we rely heavily on a
local knowledge of the market, people, forums etc to help us recruit. Any
techniques that you found useful in replacing a lack of local knowledge?

3) Were there any steps you found you needed to implement to promote team
interaction?

4) Have you found any timezones that work better than others, have you found
it important to have the people in the remote timezones having an overlap
with the hours being worked by staff in Sydney at the edges of the shifts?

5) Remuneration - any tips for getting a feel as to what local market values
are for wages?

6) A few other people have mentioned the importance of bringing new staff
over to Australia for a month or so to begin with to get some face to face
time. Have you tried this and if so has it been useful?

7) Any tips on keeping people productive and motivated or keeping tabs on
their level of productivity in the remote environment?

8) Have you found any additional challenges being faced by the locally based
staff as a result of bringing on the overseas staff?

Regards,

--
Andrew Rogers - Managing Director

Hosting ruminations : http://anchor.com.au/blog
We did the thinking for you : http://anchor.com.au/wiki

Anchor Systems Pty Ltd - Hosting Heavyweights
Level 4, 81 York Street, Sydney NSW 2000
andrew.rog...@anchor.com.au - http://www.anchor.com.au
Phone: 1300 883 979 - Direct: 02 8296 5100 - Fax: 8296 5199