As one of the Startmate mentors, I'd say: apply, and let's see.

Startmate is brand-new; we'll be learning as we go, applying what we
learn to making the program work better for applicants and for
mentors.

Our criteria for applicants aren't carved in stone, they're just
criteria. If you've got a killer startup and an awesome team, who
knows what compromises we might make in order to make room for you?

Pay no attention to your own opinion of whether your startup is killer
and your team is awesome — joining Startmate is all about finding that
out.

We've done our best to design a lean application process. I applied
for a new credit card today with a $25,000 limit and the application
paperwork was way more work than applying to Startmate.

Would we bend the criteria for the right startup and not require them
to relocate to Sydney for three months? Who knows? Unless you apply,
you'll never know and neither will we.

- Alan