Hi Dave,

Interestingly, my grandfather did actually spend 10+ winters out in
the cold in Australia up the Eastern coast in a tent wiring the telephone
network that we now have. It was hard work.. it was cold.. that's how
the country was built.

Back when he reitred, he popped in at the Janalli office and was telling
the yarn about when he started with the Post Master General doing that
in 1930's.

The response was a charmer.. "Tom.. we don't do that anymore. We
just stick in a phone with a satellite dish". And that was in the '70s
or perphaps '80s.

We're a pretty clever bunch here at silicon beach. Maybe some of us
have even wired up our own fibre-optic networking and know how
much it actually costs.

Some reports estimate that the cost to run fibre-optic right across
the bottom of the pacific will cost around $500M. It sounds reasonable
as across the pacific is a long way.

See:
http://blog.pacificfibre.net/press-release/pacnet-joins-pacific-fibre-to-build-trans-pacific-subsea-cable/

Then, to link that cable another 60km across sydney will cost
another $20B... haha.. it would cost less than that to pack the
whole city up and move it whole city on semitrailers to Byron Bay
or somewhere else for example.

Fibre optic cable isn't even as complex to connect to as copper
as you don't need a 'pair' from the exchange to every line.

It's not about arguing to use a saw or an axe. Its about giving the
government $200,000 to purchase an axe when the going price on
a 21st century chainsaw is $700....

If we didn't understand the costs of fibre optics ourselves then it
would be a completely different matter.