yes, but technically, the wider business community doesn't need too.  They
already make their squillions with the current taxation framework.

I know this is wildly off-topic now, but I think this is a massive point of
differentiation between Australian Tech companies and our Us cousins - the
US tech centers have reinvested directly into their industry, sometimes
without even expecting a ROI.  With a large number of IT giants all in
relative close geographical proximity, pumping millions of dollars back into
the industry has created a positive investment cycle.  Since the resources
are available - many startup are considered a success which in turn fuels
the same investment cycle; and the loop continues.

But its important to be realistic about these things.  Business people in
Australia are clearly happy with the current two government choices,
otherwise they'd be pushing reform much harder than they are now.  I can
only conclude that they don't push harder, because while they current
taxation system may be far from perfect, they seem to be making enough money
off it quite easily enough.  They dont want, nor desire the risks typically
associated with the creation of new and innovative technologies.

(Now to bring this back to the original thread)

This is my single fundamental reason why the NBN is (in my opinion) such a
powerful, important and vital peice of national infrastructure.  It's an
amazing industry upset that radically changes the "balance of power" in the
telecommunications industry in our great nation.  Ask vitually any Aussie
startup where they're servers are hosted, and I'll bet the vast majority are
hosted overseas.  This is a prime and perfect example of Australian
telecommunication companies and the existing infrastructure acting as a
"blocking" agent becasue increasing capacity or investing in radically new
infrastructure isn't considered to be economically beneficial.

Oh how easy it would be, and what a difference it would make if the
government would simply subsidize bandwidth for Australian IT companies (at
least for Australian traffic).  How many startups would find financing their
ideas and innovations if a fibre-optic link + hosting + bandwidth costs were
eliminated?

This is of course, just one small way the NBN will radically help our little
infant industry (as it will for the wider business and general communities),
but I think the NBN is the best thing that we could have hoped for - in
terms of real-world tangible benefits that *might* actually have a hope in
hell of being delivered.

Ash