From: silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com
[mailto:silicon-beach-australia@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Kev
Sent: Friday, 18 March 2011 12:59 AM
To: Silicon Beach Australia
Subject: [SiliconBeach] Re: US phone data plans - prepaid

as some have pointed out, a GSM Quadband unlocked phone with an AT&T
prepaid is the way to go with a data pack, if I recall they have an
unlimited talk and text option which is really useful as you are less
likely to run out of minutes at inconvenient times, and with an AU cc
it is impossible to recharge online or on the phone, you have to buy a
recharge card at a convenience store, which isn't such a hassle if you
are in the main cities.

I think if you buy $100 credit upfront their is some option to keep
your number for a year without using the sim.

The advice you get in the at&t stores can vary from really good to
really bad.

I believe T mobile no longer has pre paid data plans.

I also use a virgin mobile prepaid usb mobile - whilst wifi is
plentiful, quality in cafes etc can be sporadic and if you have
meetings in large corporates, often accessing their networks can be a
pain.

Hope this helps.
twitter.com/ke_ga

m not sure if this is an OT area... apologies if it is.