One thing I found really handy was getting a debit Visa card before I went
to the States. I got this one https://www.anztravelcard.com/ (At the time
was a better deal that the Travelex offer)

Used it for all offline & online payments inc AT&T and Amazon. Except for
the online portal to pay a parking fine. That didn't work... Damn govt
sites.
No issues cos I guess it stores credit in US$?

Anyways, that debit VISA card was really handy, and is valid for something
like 2 yrs, so suits multiple travels.

Rai