Hi Andrew,

Your two options for GSM phones are T-mobile and AT&T. I believe they cost $25 for a sim. I think AT&T call it a "go phone" and you can even buy it with a phone for about $50 (although if you are going to do that then you can go to other carriers too I guess). Walmart might be a place to get a cheap pre-paid phone, I recall seeing them there.

The US works on a "minutes" concept. You pay for minutes of air-time (both making and receiving calls). So for regular plans you pay $x for Y minutes per month, although I think the pre-paid options are more like what you would expect in Australia (but be aware of the paying to receive calls or sms). The exact details change all the time (and based on location within the US), but one thing worth noting, if your credit expires then you lose your number after a month or so. for AT&T if you load a pre-paid card with $100 your credit will last for 1 year, so if you expect to be back and want to keep the same phone number then thats the way to go. If you plan to be in the US on and off very frequently then its worth trying to get the lowest monthly plan and letting the minutes accumulate in the rollover scheme (although you might need a social security number to get a monthly plan).

For data I am not sure on the costs for pre-paid. But with the monthly plans they have this stupid concept that you have to pay extra depending on how you use the data. For example a regular phone is $15 per month (2G limit), a smartphone is $25 (2G limit) and the ability to tether your laptop is $45 (2G limit). So you pay more, for the same service, based on what YOUR equipment is. Go figure (a class action lawsuit just waiting to happen I think).

Good luck.
Nigel