Thanks for highlighting this one Mick - It is a bugbear of mine having
heard it so much from first-timers in the valley recently.

I have had the privilege of Mark's advice over the past year and I
subscribe to his views on 'fail fast'.  I think the semantics will be
debated but the net of the thinking that I completely subscribe to is
this:

1) Business plans are not so much useful to show the expected outcome
as they are to demonstrate the quality of your thinking.  Investors
(and you) are aware that things change and nothing goes to plan, but
if your plan is patently flawed from the beginning an investor can
help point that out.

2) Learn fast and do so as cheaply as possible.  In order to learn you
need to be consciously competent/incompetent - IE Make a plan and then
know what levers you are pulling to arrive at a certain outcome.

3) Treat customers and investors with the utmost respect - Never
flippantly burn customers/employees/partners/investors to achieve your
'learning'.

4) Throwing stuff at the wall as fast as possible without a
considered, cogent line of thought is inefficient, chips away at
relationships and can damage reputation - It is just irresponsible.