I need to introduce myself to the group, and this post seems like an
appropriate place to do so since I read Mark Suster's article a few
days ago. I don't think the article itself was written particularly
well, since he confused a lot of people into thinking he disagreed
with the whole concept behind "fail fast". In the end, the article is
really saying that a small percentage of people take "fail fast" the
wrong way, and so the name should change as a result. That doesn't
seem particularly sensible to me - people will still manage to
misinterpret the new name too, it's inevitable. Anyway, I suggested
"fast feedback" as a name that describes what I think the mantra is
trying to impress. Try something, but get feedback about its success
or failure ASAP so you can iterate/pivot to the next cycle. Seems like
everyone in this group is on the same page.

As for the introduction, my name Is Tom Allen. I'm a research fellow
at the University of Sydney, working in a Rio Tinto sponsored research
group into mine automation. I do systems engineering for autonomous
systems, designing high level robotic equipment capabilities and
requirements, and coding the low level communications infrastructure
to let them all co-operate in the mine. In my spare time, I read Paul
Graham's essays, devour startup literature, and tinker with charitable
projects for a group of devs and designers called Code Pro Bono.
Currently I've just finished the minimum viable product for a
collaborative blogging environment that combines wiki elements to let
everyone edit each other's posts. I'll try to make it to one of the
Sydney friday drinks in the next few weeks.