These days I use WordPress by default simply because there are plugins to do
almost anything and pre-built themes are easy find. If you want
blog aggregation I used WordPress plus FeedWordPress to create
http://planet-microisv.com/

If all you want is a hacker new clone then maybe check out the Reddit source
code. Before you rush off and build a hacker news clone you might like to
ask Delimiter what happened to Delinker (
http://delimiter.com.au/2010/06/29/were-starting-our-own-reddit-with-hookers-and-blackjack/
).

    Rich

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Brendan Quinn <bren...@cluefulmedia.com>wrote:

> Hey Elias,
>
> One simple thing you could do is to build a planet-style aggregator of
> blogs and relevant news sites using a little service I built called
> aggrity.com. You could create a siliconbeach.aggrity.com and add any
> interesting blogs or news sites to the feed, then it updates itself as
> new posts appear. I will eventually add new stuff like twitter
> integration, daily email updates etc but just as I got the main site
> finished a consulting gig appeared so I've been a bit busy recently!
>
> Let me know if that sounds interesting and I can set you up with an invite
> code.
>
> Brendan Quinn
> Founder, http://www.aggrity.com/ (among other things...)
>
> On 12 June 2011 03:13, Elias Bizannes <elias.bizan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I think it's time we did more with the Silicon Beach website, and two
> > specific use cases have become apparent.
> > 1) A jobs board. A place where you can list open positions as well as
> find
> > jobs in the startup community.
> > 2) A hacker news service. We all read and share links on Twitter -- why
> not
> > get it onto a new submission system and have contextual discussions
> there?
> > I've already talked about this with people and want to implement this so
> > what I'm asking is more (and ask this thread be about):
> > a) technologies we can use to build something like this. Are there any
> > open-source tools people recomend?
> > b) people interested in driving these projects in terms of developing
> them
> > (if open-source doesn't fit our requirements), implementing them, and
> > designing them (ie, governance)
> > c) synergies with other websites so we make this complementary
> > Thanks :-)
> > Elias
> > Elias Bizannes
> > http://eliasbizannes.com

> Guidelines on discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/silicon-beach-australia/msg/351e183e1303508d?hl=en%3Fhl%3Den
>
> No lurkers! It is expected that you introduce yourself.

Rich Buggy
r...@buggy.id.au