On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 22:18, Dylan Jay <d...@pretaweb.com> wrote:

> The GoodBarry/business catalyst guys were very active in the community
> providing support and advice locally in Sydney. They relcoated to the US,
> sold to Adobe, haven't seen them again. That's not to say that they haven't
> reinvested that money or expertise locally. Maybe I haven't heard about it.

That's because you're looking in the wrong place. They roll out the red
carpet here whenever someone shows up. They've bought a farking building
and kitted it out to provide an ideal landing place on the other side of
the bridge. They're generous with their time, their advice, their
connections - very generous.

But, then again, they took a massive risk, built a company, and paid a lot
of tax on the way through. They launched careers for numerous talented
people. If they're not making enough effort to lay things out on a silver
platter for the folks who choose to stay where they are and wait for the
world to come to them I can't see how that is their fault.

Through this program the govt is providing a *small* amount of support to
help companies who aren't far enough along to pass the normal de-risking
qualifiers of time in business, number of full time employees to get any
sort of encouragement. I think it should be small, subject to qualification
and focused on helping people get some of the experiences, connections and
perspectives that Silicon Valley is uniquely placed to provide. If it helps
them also escape the entitlement mentality, then that's a bonus.