I am looking forward to beating on some of the people on the thread
with a length of "Startup Hose", that's for sure. It doesn't leave any
marks.

Having a full-time presence in the US is indeed critical for most
businesses, including Sensory. That being said, I'm not sure that
Silicon Beach is exactly the territory that will produce the next
Radiata, no offense. I'm not sure that NSW will become a blasted
wasteland for innovation if we lose a few Web 2.0 startups here and
there and this startup house might even smooth the time-honoured
transition from "non-viable, random startup without a discernible
business model" to "acquihire" unless the selection process is very
careful.

I walked to RSA from an inexpensive hotel a few times through that
area 2-3 years ago. I think the exposure to a genuine US sub-culture
thus provided will be excellent and give many future entrepreneurs a
great deal of perspective. The corner of Howard and 7th, if I remember
correctly, provided an urban experience instantly familiar to any
aficionado of "The Wire". Walking back to to my hotel via that corner
(rather than detouring up to Market) late one night led me to think a
number of philosophical thoughts about the overall balance of my life
up to that point.

I suspect the surrounding area still offers an amazing variety of
goods and services, not all legal. Also, donuts right next door.

I cannot think of a better location to encourage entrepreneurs to both
take advantage of the excellent opportunities that SF offers but to
also to subtly encourage them to return to Sydney, where the number of
untreated mentally ill wandering the streets is slightly smaller.

Geoff.