Hi Tom,

I think you will find there is always an underlying 'need' or 'latent need'
(to use Solution Selling terminology). A 'latent need' is a prior need that
has not yet been fulfilled, but through clear demonstration of the downside
pain-point and upside benefits, could motivate someone to buy a product or
service.

For your iPhone example, the needs are as follows:
1) The need to have a mobile phone so you are contactable when not in a
fixed location
2) The need to have something to entertain you whilst commuting or
travelling (e.g. a MP3 player)
3) The need to feel accepted by others - i.e. I have a iPhone, so I'm part
of the 'Apple fan-boi club' or I have something that you don't
4) The ability to fulfil other specific needs in the future ("I can
download and install custom applications on demand")

Your motivation to purchase an iPhone is more compelling because it fulfils
multiple specific needs. Otherwise, you would buy a dumb Nokia phone + a
MP3 player but it would more complicated, more costly and not as convenient.

Typically, early adopters grab at stuff that seems 'cool' often because it
fulfils different kinds of needs - like the need to show off to their
friends, or to fill their time with something interesting to do that aligns
with a passion that they have.

I think if you are planning to create a product that does not clearly
endeavour to fulfil a specific need *then its asking for trouble*.
Ultimately, you will need to sell and market your product, and if there is
no 'pain' then you need to have a very clear 'pleasure' (and potentially a
low price point) as a drawcard. From NLP theory, motivation is either
'towards something' or 'away from something'.

I say this, because I've looked at doing projects that involve doing some
sort of charitable good... this completely skews the incentives when
compared to non-charitable projects, because people like to do something
good (*i.e. the need to feel like they are contributing to society or others
*), but its completely optional and not a 'significant-enough' factor on
its own to motivate someone to do something.

I highly recommend you read "Reality is Broken" by Jane McGonigal - it
takes about happiness, incentives and gamification in detail... relating
the positive experience of playing (addictive, fulfilling) computer games
to the real world.

Cheers,

Nigel

Dr Nigel Sheridan-Smith PhD BE