Hi Vinko,

Yes, Kumar's quadrocopters *do* use Vicon cameras for tracking, and they're
clearly visible throughout that video whenever they're interacting with the
environment or acting cooperatively. (The bits where they're just
demonstrating manouevrability and flying them in the auditorium are under
tele-remote operation.)

I dislike the idea of flying robots in my home for many many reasons, but
as just one motivating example - have you ever tried flying a quadrocopter
near a miniature foxy terrier? ;-) As for other reasons - the payload
capacity is minimal, power drain is huge so flight time is tiny, stability
is nigh on impossible so image projection tasks are out, you have to do
collision avoidance in 3D rather than 2D so processing requirements are
huge, which means you need a real computer, which given all the previous
problems means you almost certainly have to do the computation offboard,
which means you need now to have a consistent low-latency RF comms channel
to a moving target in a cluttered house with walls and RF noise out the
wazoo - and you're not allowed to use any frequencies other than those
available to consumer products and you must comply with maximum
transmission power regulations. Frankly, good luck with that.

Regarding your suggestions, with the utmost respect, they form a fairly
typical response that I get when I ask a random person about robots.
Essentially, you want a household slave. That's fine, and fair enough - I'd
love one too - except that the technology required to do any of these
manipulation tasks as well as a human can will cost you many millions of
dollars and almost certainly require fixed infrastructure in your house.
For a lot less than a million dollars, you can hire a maid to do this, and
for at least the next twenty years I guarantee they'll do a better job than
a robot. It's not so much that it's too hard, it's that it's too hard and
expensive and improbable that it can be made at a consumer level of
robustness.

What I'm trying to do is fine a combination of technologies that *is*
affordable, and which in combination can be made rock solid so that; It.
Just. Works.

The downside obviously is that it necessarily has less features and
abilities than the million dollar solution. The upside is that I can
actually make this happen.

Cheers,
Tom