Hi Andra, and thanks to Rob for joining these dots. I'm definitely keen to
participate in events like this in Sydney, and was planning to hold a
mini-hackathon with some of my students and colleagues to prototype parts of
this robot anyway. There's a large number of students at the Australian Centre
for Field Robotics (ACFR) where I work who would be keen to be involved too,
and I'd be happy to be a point of contact there for you.

I take a bit of an issue with the need finding approach as described in
Pantofaru et al.'s paper. Not all products fulfil needs. I don't need an iPhone
- I could use a normal phone, plus an MP3 player, and only check my email when
I'm home or work. But the combination of technologies available in that one
device make it a compelling purchase. The app store model is brilliant because
it lets the iDevice become a platform which gets better over time without Apple
having anything to do with it except taking their 30% cut. I don't know that I
could put a finger on what part of the iPhone was the killer app (the ipod
bit?) because to me it was always about the overall platform.

I'm not suggesting that the approach or the paper is bad (I actually thought
the paper was quite good), just that its likely not always appropriate. I think
the fact that I'm struggling to come up with pain points I could solve for the
average consumer indicates that it might be a non need fulfilling product. (Or
it could just be a bad product idea... That is unfortunately the other possible
take-away from this! ;-) And that's what a lot of the advice of people like
Geoff in this thread has been about; that it's easier to start a company by
solving a particular problem, rather than dreaming big about the platform that
people could use to solve their problems. That leaves me with two options; get
better at convincing people that my platform approach is viable, or find a
suitable problem to solve with the platform, and do that first.

There's some other interesting points raised by the paper, such as how to deal
with catastrophic failure, and using humans as supervisory controllers. MIT has
some good work in this area too, in particular what they call
"human-ON-the-loop". They use this to imply that an autonomous system should be
capable of operating without human interaction, but can be reconfigured or
redirected by a human.

Cheers,
Tom