On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Tom Allen <t...@jugglethis.net> wrote:

> Hi David, sounds like an interesting project but I wonder about its
> usefulness.

Robotic cars have the potential to automate driving and reduce road deaths
and accidents.

I'm not sure that you have ever seen people texting with their mobiles
whilst
driving, driving under the influence of alcohol, driving long distances and
suffering fatigue but all these human inadequacies contribute to road
accidents
often causing death.

A robotically driven vehicle would power you to your destination no matter
what your blood alcohol reading was. I for one would feel safer if my
teenagers
were coming home in an appropriately constructed robot car than with their
own reflexes after a long night of partying.

Lot's of time is wasted driving cars manually. I'd much prefer to be sitting
in the back seat playing with the notebook than up the front doing a job
that I think a computer can easily do if it had the right program.

> Have you actually asked any of these lower-end manufacturers whether
> they'd use it?

Not yet, because I am still working on it.

> How will you deal with the fact that most cars are not drive-by-wire?
> Google's car (and everything even remotely successful in the DARPA
> Grand/Urban Challenges) used a Velodyne sensor to get 3D models of the
> world - do you really think it's at all viable to just use computer vision?

My driverless robot uses a multi-core-symmetrical processing brain. And can
accept input from a range of sensors including GPS and Computer Vision. I
don't see any reason why I can't add Lidar later and why it would cause any
great rift in the project.

First steps, which I hope to accomplish in the coming months will just
include driving
the vehicle around a few streets at low speed. If I can get that happening
and working
fine I will be pretty chuffed. That's my immediate milestone in any case.