Having built teams there, here's my 2cents worth :)

** what worked: image! people look for security - you need a good office,
branding on your front door (you won't believe how important this is!), the
image of a "big" company that isn't going anywhere, and of course benefits
like "provident fund" (superannuation), medical benefits, etc... Also,
depending on the level of people you are hiring, streamline your hiring
process and automate much of it... you will get a LOT of junk applying...

** what didn't work: "indian salaries" - people think it's *much* cheaper
there... true, if you are looking for JUNK! A good person will cost you
between a 1/3 and a 1/2 of an Australia salary norm. What also does not
work is looser structure - people are used to hierarchy, and you need to
give them hierarchy and structure - then build in a culture of openness...
(starting with something too open scares them).

** what would i do different: really work out the value of what you are
doing and whether you should be hiring there... it's NOT necessarily
cheaper if you are still looking for the same quality result - although if
you decide that you need it for other reasons, then hire only the absolute
guns... there is not much "mid level" there... they are either stars, or
absolute duds (which is the 99%)!

** events, head hunters, yes ads on naukri (same as seek here) as well, but
hire your top talent first (absolute guns) and get them to poach...

** 3 interview process : very dependant on level.. but say you're hiring a
programmer, because of the amount of junk you get, after 2 minutes, i used
to give them a "practical" in front of a computer... most of them didn't
know where the enter key was! interview was terminated 30 seconds later! :)

If you want to bounce your thoughts off someone, feel free to call me (0422
543 742)... if your rationale is much more than just "cheaper developers" -
i can certainly help you (still have many contacts on the ground in
bangalore in particular :)