Hi Richard,

I had actually moved to India after raising money from an Indian HNI to
start a mobile based real-time location-based ultra-personalised
retail/loyalty system :)

In my experience, remote interviews are like the lottery... probably a one
in a 10 billion chance you'll strike it lucky (resume's are usually quite
*dishonest*, and communication is very poor... don't be surprised if
someone "similar looking" actually "does the interview" for his friend...
and then, how will you handle the situation of "her mother came along to
the interview to make sure her 22 year old daughter was okay" (yes, i've
had mothers sit in on interviews i've done - but after a few for curiosity,
people who came with their "mummies" were quickly turned away :) India is a
very peculiar place.... you'll no doubt thoroughly love it as
an experience, but if you want particular results, there is certain
processes and structures you'll need to put in place (again, very much
depends on what level of person you are hiring).

Where is your office going to be (near electronics city?), diamond
district? indiranagar? or one of the other hubs?

My questions to you would be:

* what is your motive for hiring/establishing in india?
  (if it's stuff like - you want to cater to the market there, expand your
"business" (not just dev) there, innovate for there, etc... totally
understandable... if it's cost, i would say - still might be worth it, but
think twice, and research more before you do that :)

* do you have someone on the ground there who understands the local nuances?

* what is your recruitment strategy and who are you hiring? (top down?
poach?, ???)

* what is your retention strategy?
  (and yes, getting the lemming to take around the coffee twice a day for
all employees is seen as almost mandatory for many good companies :)

* what is your "brand/image" strategy (location, office
type/space/signage/etc)

* who is your legal advisor/partner?
  (for example, did you know it takes at least 6 weeks to just get
incorporated (and that's a very quick case) - and you have to pay (apart
from bribes), a lot of taxes based on your incorporation "value", you'll
get things like "company seals" and memorandums (hundreds of companies from
your lawyer) because every time you want to do something significant (even
open a bank account, these have to be submitted to the bank, etc)...
  (another one for legals... did you know that even many *big western
companies* have HR policies whereby if an employee takes a friday/monday
off, it's considered 4 days off annual leave because "just in case the
employee was needed on saturday/sunday and was not available, it should be
considered a day of leave") - personally i think it's draconian, but many
do it because they say the gazillions of "public holidays" that come up
more than make up for such rules... :)

* what are your "community connections" there?
  (i can certainly put  you in touch with the founders of the Amazon,
Null/Security and startup (HeadStart) communities" (even helped found a few
of them) :)

Having said the above, i think it can be a very rewarding experience and
profitable as well... the vibrancy/colour, constant battle for survival,
etc, does provide a fertile ground for certain types of innovation and
implementation...

Happy to chat over a coffee if you want :)

simran.