Diverting even a tiny fraction of the Super pool into the early stage arena
would transform our community - and more broadly the success of innovation
in Australia.

On a company level with a start-up, the single biggest mitigator of risk
(technical or commercial) is...cash - underfunded start-ups are far more
likely to fail (a fairly obvious point). They don't have the money or time
to do things properly or hire the right people...there's no margin for
error, and they have to get it right first time...or die trying.

For Super Funds, one of the key issues is how to deploy cash into this area
- essentially on a macro/industrial scale. The only current "vehicle" is
through venture capital funds. For numerous reasons, this pathway has
proved underwhelming, even with significant government support. As noted
above, Super Funds are not charities, and are not in the business of
throwing their money away.

On a related note, the Pty Ltd structure is a poor vehicle as well -
particularly for angel investment. Regardless of the various rules (20/12
etc.), if you need $2m in investment, going through an angel round
essentially equates to 20 people each putting $100k in. Anyone who has been
through this knows how painful the process is - shareholders agreements,
subscription agreements, preferences, down round protection, etc, etc.The
process is far from transparent and smooth, and it can often take up to 12
months to close a big round...

Overall the process needs to be far more efficient. For individual
investors, there's generally a pain point at about $20,000 - under that,
they're happy to take a bet and cut a cheque. Over that requires freeing up
funds, consulting their partners, involving their accountants, etc. So 100
investors putting in $20k or 400 investors putting in $5k is at one level
far more efficient and likely to happen - this can't happen as a private
capital raise in a Pty Ltd structure.

My personal view is that the only way this can happen is to embrace the
mechanisms of the public markets. Essentially, this is what crowd funding
is all about - but the mechanisms of proper markets already exist - they're
just way to expensive to use at this current time. If the costs of listing
on a public market (eg. NSX) could be dropped to $25-50k
(proforma prospectus, conversion to an unlisted public company, etc),
allied to the nascent crowd funding platforms, and others such as
ASSOB, potentially we would have a pathway for small investors (not just
high net worth angels) to put meaningful amounts of cash into technology
companies.

Completing the circle - it is far easier for Super Funds, and particularly
SMSF's to invest in public companies - even micro caps. And if there enough
micro caps, there is a ready made sector or basket of companies for a Super
Fund to invest into.

Just my thoughts,

Matthew.