as trustees of other people's money (OPM), super funds are legally required
to be fudicaries and prudent investors.  Angels can take a punt as they
typically are quite hands-on, or know the domain well enough to take a
calculated risk.  If a fund manager don't know what they're doing, then
they are speculating, not investing.

Whilst people might decry the dearth of risk capital, I'd respectfully
point out that there's already a lot of social capital out there in terms
of LAMP stacks, FLOSS, long-tail free-to-try PaaS that's already derisked
large elements of IT startups (except for marketing). I was reading a
private capital market report and whilst crowd-funding (advance purchases)
is not taking a big dent, it is on the radar. They had people tapping into
multi-million dollar credit cards (admittedly US) as well as well. What is
missing is the disposable income of developed countries middleclass to
create demand for new goods/services. That is a problem that no super fund
can fix.

 >To my mind, such grass-roots funding for tech investments is
>much more likely to avoid massive scams and losses that the
>superannuation industry could ill afford.
And at the moment the US venture scene is deleveraging as well, having a
negative return does that to your limited partners. I've known people
who've made investment roadshows in China and managed to pick up seed
capital. So there are still pockets out there, just not big pockets
(super-angels expect you to validate your market thesis with 10-20k, not
millions). So running a lean startup is considered the new norm. which in
my mind is globally good (if not individually) as it means takented people
from India, etc have a chance to self-boot.

Lawrence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drllau