I've thought about this, instead of investing in any single company, a fund
would co-invest in a patent pool within broad classes (eg smart-grid power
efficiency). so rather than punt on a winner-take all, it'll be more of a
trifetta.

however a pure software play is more challenging.as harder to ensure market
coverage.

>I've had discussions about getting private equity and venture capital into
more super options and even this is >considered too risky. So startups is a
whole other level of risk :).
There are mechanisms but they are not trivial, and to interest superfunds,
it has to be multiple millions ... for one client, I've put together a
sale-leaseback arramgement where the IP is embedded into a plant/equipment,
sold to the target fund at a premium, then leased back (with with premium
going back into R&D). The fund gets the rental, the startup gets
monetarised royalties. both sides win. You just have to do the sums and
work out whether the underlying technology trends improves faster than the
rental yield