Hi,

>     Third option — they are a pyramid scheme...

> Isn't any money mostly a pyramid scheme? Government prints money when
> they need it... the rich exploit the the poor (using money (and power
> that comes with money)) to get richer...

>     It is very hard to come up with any explanation for the deflationary
>     monetary policy encoded into the software by Satoshi Nakamoto, other
>     than enriching the originator and early adopters. The "mining" analogy
>     is just that — an analogy.

> really? i guess it might be enriching Satoshi, if someone knew who he
> was or if he actually exists :) i guess the early adopters do have the
> headstart, but which industry is that not true for?

Well, it's enriching Satoshi regardless of whether anyone knows who he,
she or they are. Pseudonymous enrichment is still enrichment.

The thing is that the deflationary monetary policy was clearly
deliberately chosen — it's not the simplest or the most obvious to
encode (that would be a constant per-block reward). At the same time,
there's no public explanation of why that one was chosen, and the
documentation seems to steer away from even asking the question.

Why was this non-obvious policy chosen?

>     In this explanation, the "currency" moniker would be a ruse, partly to
>     disguise the true nature, partly as part of its marketing message,
>     designed to appeal to a particular demographic.

> isn't a currency simply something we mutually agree to give a value to?

The question isn't what a currency is, the question is what is the
primary purpose of Bitcoin.

Many pyramid schemes masquerade as multi-level marketing. Why not one
that masquerades as a currency?

Jiri
--
Jiří Baum <j...@baum.com.au>