On Jan 29, 2008 10:17 AM, Biju Chacko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008 7:21 PM, Devdas Bhagat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > * Controlled by local special economic zone regs that are hard on
> labour
> > > unions and soft on environmental controls
> > >
> > Pen (Raigad district)? Pune? The Pen SEZ would be pretty destructive to
> > the environment, Pune much less so. Pune also has an upcoming SEZ being
> > developed by local farmers (instead of the government getting involved
> > in taking over the land).
>
> Just to note, if I'm not mistaken in China SEZs seem to be entire
> regions governed by different laws. In India my impression is that
> SEZs are typically industrial parks[1] under specific regulations --
> more akin to the old "bonded warehouse" regs that software companies
> used to work under.

This is true. Most SEZs are setup to reduce the red tape involved in
bringing
stuff in and taking stuff out of the country. I don't think there are any
specific tax
benefits. Theoretically, you could setup an export oriented unit (EOU)
anywhere
claim the same benefits. Since the SEZ increases the density of units, the
developers
sweeten the deal by providing extra goodies in terms of better
infrastructure
and facility management services. They have no effect on the people living
around them other than the increased cost of living driven by the higher
wages
earned in the SEZs.

-gabin

--
Measure with a micrometer. Mark with a chalk. Cut with an axe!