Yes, :-) And nice to note the 'Telegu' as opposed to Telugu. :-))

Actually it was something like:  "stones the colour of frankincense,
sweeter than figs or honey" [1] - referring to Khand; this was in
326BC. Arthatshasthra of the same time also refers to the whole gamut
of products of sugarcane.

[1] JB Hutchinson (ed), Diversity and Change in the Indian
Subcontinent, Cambridge University Press, 1974.

__r.

On 2/8/08, Radhika, Y. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> in Telegu, it is Panchadara and chakkira. my understanding is that there is
> a greek account in Alexander's time that refers to the sugarcane
> as producing "honey without bees".
>
> On Feb 8, 2008 8:35 AM, Ramjee Swaminathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
<snip>