On Feb 8, 2008 10:53 PM, Ramjee Swaminathan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, :-) And nice to note the 'Telegu' as opposed to Telugu. :-))
>
> Actually it was something like:  "stones the colour of frankincense,
> sweeter than figs or honey" [1] - referring to Khand; this was in
> 326BC. Arthatshasthra of the same time also refers to the whole gamut
> of products of sugarcane.

I also thought of  "gulkhand" which seems to be a popular sweet in
many parts of India. Was this of Mughal, or Indian origin? I never
liked it, and could not understand my grandmother's need to dunk rose
petals in sugar syrup!...

And "khand" as in "piece"..." khandam", I think, also denotes "region"
in Sanskrit and its derviatives,as in "Bundelkhand"and so on.

Words are just amazing, the way they lead you into further drifts!

Deepa.